Thursday, September 9, 2010

Diabetic Oatmeal Bread Recipe...but it tastes so good the whole family will eat it!

 I haven't felt much like making bread in this heat, but the weather turned a little cooler (so nice to have the windows open again!) and I'm ready to start again. So tomorrow I'm making this one for us......



With Bob's diabetes I've had to start making a lot more from scratch so I know what's in it and also had to do a lot of research. This is a non-bread machine recipe and I've put asterisks where I've made adjustments to the recipe. I know that our carb count is lower than what's stated in this recipe because I use splenda instead of sugar. I also allow the dough to rise longer because I like the way it turns out better. You will not feel like you are eating a diabetic bread its so good.

Hearty Oatmeal Bread Recipe - Diabetic

Ingredients:
5 1/4 cup All purpose flour - *
1/2 cup Flour (use as needed)
1 tsp Salt
2 1/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup Margarine or butter
1/4 cup Sugar - **
2 Envelopes active dry yeast
OR
2 tbsp Active dry yeast
2 cup Quick cooking oats - ***
1 tbsp Caraway seeds

* - I only use 3 cups of flour and the 1/2 cup while kneading it. And its unbleached flour.
** - I replace the sugar with an equal amount of Splenda
*** - I only use 1 1/2 cups of the oats
Note: I don't add the caraway seeds at all.

Preparation:

The number of slices used to calculate the recipe was not given or
checked. Guessed about 16 half-inch slices per loaf to make 32
servings.

Stir together 2 cups of flour and the salt in a large bowl. Heat the
milk, margarine and sugar together over low heat until the margarine
is soft. Add the liquid to the flour. Beat for 2 minutes on the
medium speed of an electric mixer or 300 strokes by hand.
( Note: The first time I did this I started with my mixes than found it was
much easier to just use a spoon in a bowl)

Combine 1 cup of flour and the yeast. Add to the batter. Beat for 2
minutes on medium speed or 300 strokes by hand. Stir in the oats and
caraway with a wooden spoon. Stir in enough additional flour to make
a stiff dough.

Turn out onto a floured board. Knead until smooth, 8 to 10 minutes.
Place in a greased large bowl. Brush the top with vegetable oil
( I use olive oil spray for all the brushing and greasing).
Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until
double in size, about 1 hour. ( On this first rise I gave it 2 hours)

Punch the dough down. Divide it in half and shape to form two loaves.
Place in two greased 8 1/2 " x 4 1/2 " loaf pans.
( I actually just place on a baking sheet/cookie sheet forming the loaf - Artisan style)
Brush with melted margarine or butter. Cover and let rise until nearly double in size,
about 1 hour ( Again I allowed this to rise longer at least 2 hours but I did 4 hours once).
When almost doubled, preheat the oven to 375 F.
( Check your oven rack you will most likely need to lower it or take one out)
Bake for about 40 minutes or until brown. Cool before slicing.
Makes 2 loaves.

1 slice = 78 calories, 1 starch exchange 2 grams protein, 16 grams
carbohydrate, 1 gram fat, 181 mg sodium

 - The original recipe came from this source -
Quick & Easy Diabetic Menus by Betty Wedman, 1993 Shared by Elizabeth
Rodier March 94

2 comments: