Saturday, September 11, 2010

Diabetic Fishcakes (Tuna) - Low fat and fast.

Last night I stood in the kitchen staring at 2 cans of tuna.......and I had no idea what I was going to make.

I absolutely did not want tuna sandwiches....and absolutely not casserole.....what to do? What to do?
So, I adapted a salmon pattie recipe.........

Makes 4 servings

1 beaten egg
1/4 cup milk
2 - 5 oz. cans tuna - drained
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon cooking oil 
Salt/pepper/onions to taste

In a medium bowl combine egg, milk, salt and pepper and onions.
Add tuna (finely chopped/shreaded) and bread crumbs; mix well.
Form mixture into 1/2 inch thick patties (wet your hands so they don't stick).
In large skillet cook patties in hot oil over medium-low heat about 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
*Added by me (because I never just leave a recipe alone):
Extra 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Miracle Whip or salad dressing (best if its a fresh jar that is already at room temp).

Per serving:
Cals: 231, Total fat: 12 g (3 g sat fat), chol: 112mg, sodium: 656mg, Carbs: 6 g, fiber: 0, protein: 24g.
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat.

1 comment: